in the kitchen

in the kitchen

Monday, September 21, 2009

Black Rice

As promised in an earlier blog, my version of the coconut black rice served at Unicorn Pan Asian Cuisine in San Francisco. 

Coconut Black Rice

1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup black rice (available at Oriental markets)
1 2/3 cups water
2/3 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon raw sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a medium size hot skillet, melt coconut oil. Add black rice and saute stirring frequently for 3 or 4 minutes. Add water, coconut milk, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil then cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce heat to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. You may need to add additional water (about 1/3 cup) and continue cooking for another 10 minutes or so.

Hints: Coconut oil comes in a jar and has a spreadable consistency at room temperature. I keep mine refrigerated to prolong its shelf life. It is available in most grocery stores. I use light coconut milk just for the reduced calorie count. The coconut flavor is very subtle in this dish; I don't think people would know it was coconut unless you told them. Black rice is a beautiful whole grain with a slightly nutty flavor naturally. It is delicious and healthy. It also stains things a deep shade of purple so be careful when cooking it. The other thing to be aware of is the particulate matter in your teeth when you finish eating black rice. It is not too attractive.

I can't wait to get back to San Fran for a bowl of carrot chowder and side of black rice. I will also hit Zazill for the best chili relleno I've come across (and I have come across quite a few in my time). But first is a trip to Albuquerque in October. And then to Austria for a week--WOW the food there is fabulous too. Now that I am thinking of it, most places I go, I find outstanding food--either I am not very picky or I am very lucky.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I finally had a few minutes to catch up on your blog and now all I want to do is cook! Can hardly wait to try the bread (yes, you already gave me the recipe) and we just may have that pasta sauce as long as the garden doesn't freeze tonight.
    Tell Neal we haven't forgotten about him...just a little overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete